It’s the season for resolutions, so here are my writing objectives for the coming year.
- Keep my priorities in order. The requirements of my spiritual life, family life, and day job have to come first.
- Submit quality work. Clean, tight, and worth reading. I know how it should look.
- Have fun. If the writing becomes a grind rather than a creative outlet, throttle back.
- Sustain. Slightly increase my short-story submissions. Goal: 40 submissions to paying markets (includes resubs).
- Reach. Submit to more pro-level publications. Goal: 10 or more submissions, including at least one to Asimov’s or F&SF.
- Broaden. Write some non-genre material. Goal: Write and submit 5 or more non-genre short stories.
- Network. Attend a writer’s conference this year and make some new contacts. Goals: 1 conference, at least 5 new writing contacts and 2 in the local area.
- Stretch. Try something that exceeds my expectations. Goals: Finish polishing my NaNo novel by March and shop it out somewhere. Write another, better novel by year’s end.
- Study. Improve my writing skills. Goal: Learn 5 new things about the craft of writing this year, and apply them.
- Read. Maintain a habit of reading consistently. Goal: 1 book a month, with variety.